Do you want Google to send you lots of FREE Traffic?
If you are a website owner and anything like me…. then the answer is a HUGE “Of Course I Do!”
If you need help on how to build a free WordPress website in under 1 minute, please click here
When we all start out building an online business we all want to help our website visitors by offering value with some amazing content. This is easy to do for the first 10 or 20 blog posts but after a while it gets really hard to think up new ideas of writing great content.
If you sometimes get stuck with writer’s block, please click here.
The other thing that we want is lots and lots of organic FREE website traffic. We all want the major search engines to send us HEAPS of website visitors. Everybody want to page on page 1 of Google.
Another way that Google can help us get lots of traffic is by promoting our website through their free Google Alerts feature.
So what is Google alerts anyway?
Google Alerts is a free service where Google will send you an email when brand new content relating to topics that you have selected gets created and is indexed by Google. So you sign up for Google Alerts and you select the criteria that you want information about AND you decide how often you would like these emails to be delivered.
Hot Tip – Use Google Alerts to Keep An Eye On Your Competitors
This is a really powerful tool for receiving current competitor update and fresh content ideas that will really help your customers and help make your website an authority site in your chosen niche pretty quickly.
So how do you set up a Google Alert Account in the first place
Step 1: is to get up a Gmail account to receive the updates from.
or just click this link to go to the Google Alerts home page
Step 2: is too type in topics or industry words that you are interested in.
Step 3: Read the subject lines of the email to get some great content ideas about what competitors are talking about in your space.
Some niches are so small that you might only receive a Google alert once or twice per week.
Some niches are so popular that you will be receiving alerts all the time and you will need to screen what you receive just to keep up with your daily tasks.
Please remember that if you are feeling overwhelmed you can change your settings at any time to make sure that you only get a quantity of alerts that are useful to you. No one likes the horrible feeling of being overwhelmed.
So to change your Google Alerts, just go to the dashboard and you can either select fewer topics to receive Google Alerts about or change the frequency of how often the emails come in. Some people prefer daily, some people prefer weekly.
Personally I only like to receive an email once per day. That way I can still manage all my other tasks that I need to do.
Step 4: You get to customize your alerts so that they are just PERFECT for you.
You get to decide…
- You can decide how often you will receive new alerts = As it happens, At most once per day, or At most once per week.
- You can decide the type of sources you can receive = Automatic (meaning a mix of all types of sources), News articles, Blogs, Web pages, Videos,…
- You can decide in what language your alerts will be in.
- You can decide what region or part of the world your alerts are coming from.
- You can decide on how many alerts you receive, either “Only the best” or “All results”.
- You can decide where to receive your alerts
When you are finished customizing your feeds,
Step 5: Just read any articles that you find interesting.
Hot Tip: How to use Google Alerts to help offer value to your customers
Step 6: Now adapt these articles for your audience. Only you know the true wants / needs and goals of YOUR website visitors. You are the best judge of which parts of the Google Alert updates would be of interest to your readers, so take all the best bits of the article and then change them / adapt them / give them a real live working example and then create a blog post that your readers will enjoy reading.
This is really adding value to your audience. Now you are providing real live, current examples of things that are happening in your industry that can really help your clients and they get all this information delivered to them for free!
This is a great way to get your website visitors to bookmark your website and come back again and again.
If you would like to see a video on how to set up Google Alerts, please click here.
Video Author: Melanie Downey
To see a different break down of these steps, please see WikiHow by clicking here.
Now How Do We Get Our Website Mentioned In Google Alerts
People who receive Google Alert emails on their chosen topic simply click on the link and then “poof” like magic the website owner should get a giant spike in website traffic.
Even more visitors than they ever could have imagined by themselves.
Because we all want this, Google Alerts have to screen which blog posts they are willing to allow.
The top things to remember about being successfully added to Google Alerts are:
- Your site must be indexed in Google
- Your site must have a sitemap (please click here if you need to learn how to do this.)
- Your site must be able to be crawled by a “GoogleBot”
- Your content must be current and newsworthy
- Your content must be original
- You must have an easy to find author bio and contact information
- Your content must be clear and easy to follow
- Your content must be easy to read
- Your URL’s must be unique and permanent
- The pages must be in HTML (No PDF’s or other attachments allowed)
The Next Step: How To Add YOUR Content In Google Alerts For FREE
OK so let’s now see if Google even knows that your website exists OK?
step 1: Please type in SITE:(yourwebsitenamehere.extension) and Let’s see what Google already knows about your website.
You will know get a full listing of every URL that has been indexed in Google. Don’t panic if you have 30 blog posts but Google has only indexed 10 of them. We can sort this out as we move through the training.
Step 2: In the menu options at the top of the page, please click on the tab for “News”. This will show if any of your URL’s have ever been included in Google Alerts before.
Don’t worry if you get a message saying “we didn’t find any results for site:websitename.extension” we all have to start somewhere right?
Top Tips To Get Your Website Included in Google Alerts
What should you do to get your website included onto Google Alerts?
1) If your website is not there, but YES it does have the right content (see the posting content guidelines listed above).
2) Read the current rules around Google’s Webmaster Guidelines,
3) Then visit the Google News Publishing Center to ask for your site to be added.
4) Send a request to Google to get included into Google News. The request form will look something like this one off to the right.
5) When your website is verified, you will see it in the list.
6) Click the button to get your website included on the list.
7) Fill in the form that Google will send you
8) Hit submit and the form will go to Google for review.
Please note that the review process will normally take up to three weeks before you hear back one way or the other.
If you would like to learn more about Google Tools and how they can help you, please feel free to read this article on Google Webmaster Tools For WordPress
If you are looking for a place to learn how to build a successful online business from scratch, please click here.
Was this article on how to add YOUR content in Google Alerts for FREE helpful? Did you learn anything new? Have you ever submitted your form to Google Alerts before? How did you go? Were you successful, were you unsuccessful? Do you read Google Alerts at all? Has it helped your business in any way shape or form. How has Google helped your business. What new content would you like me to talk about in upcoming posts.
Please feel free to leave your comments, helps tips or suggestions in the comments field below.
Please feel free to follow us on Social Media